Espresso Chocolate and Emergency Vets

Let me just start out by saying November 25 may possibly be the worst date out of the year. 

10 years ago my god- father/hero/best buddy passed away unexpectedly. He was walking to the 50 yard line at Stanford Stadium to watch the Georgia Bulldogs play Georgia Tech. He had a massive heart attack and was dead before he hit the ground. My mom drove us to the hospital in Athens. I remember thinking this couldn’t be happening. The doctor pulled us into a family conference room and shattered our world. My mom asked if I wanted to go see Nat. I walked into that cold hospital room and saw his body. The most important man in my life was laying there lifeless. He was paler than I’ve ever seen someone and unbelievably cold. He still had his breathing tube in. The sound my mom made and that image will haunt me the rest of my life. I spent the night of November 25 in the hospital and my life was never the same. 

Ten years later, I’m spending the night in a different hospital. I’m currently sitting in the waiting room of a 24 hour emergency animal hospital. My son (because he is a real boy) FRIG decided he is a scavenger and wanted some of DeathWish’s espresso white chocolate. I swear he is a stealthy little demon; he found my stash of my highly caffeinated chocolate (which was moved from standard location because of holiday festivities). He ate the equivalent to 3.5-4 regular sized Hersey bars. Animal Poison Hotline said not only is that a lot of chocolate for his 12 pound self but the amount of caffeine is highly toxic to dogs. Ronnie drove like a speed racer to get us to the emergency hospital while I remained on the line with poison control. The vet had to induce vomiting. He is currently under observation while active charcoal is absorbing the remaining chocolate, but FRIG is stable and he will be fine. 

Waiting rooms are terrifying. It doesn’t matter if it is a regular hospital or animal- it’s all horrible. People sit and wait to hear updates- and sometimes the updates are devastating. 10 years ago, I got news that would change my life in a waiting room. I sat in that waiting room and prayed. I begged God not to take the most influential man in my life away from me, but unfortunately that didn’t happen. I think because today is the anniversary, it’s making this animal waiting room even more difficult. 

Frig is my son. He saved me a few years ago- he is a licensed support dog. And because of that I am irrational. I am aware I am irrational and I do not care. He got me through some pretty dark times. Naked truth: he was my only reason I decided to keep living through a couple days. 

November 25 sucks. Bottom line. Tonight has a very different outcome than that of 10 years ago, but it sucks none the less. My baby Friggy will be fine, maybe a little shaken, but fine. And tonight I am thanking God for that. I am thankful that I had such a wonderful influential man that was able help shape me into the woman I am for 16 years. I still miss Natty Patty every day. My whole family does, but I am so grateful to have had the memories for the time I did. 

This holiday season there is so much I am thankful for. And tonight I’m especially thankful for Animal Poison Control, 24 Hour Emergency Animal Hospitals, Ronnie being right by my side and my boy being okay.  



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s